Tail-to-Nose Cooking: Chef Valentine Warner
Grilled Venison Sandwich
To Start with:
- 1.30 lbs roe or fallow deer strip loin
- olive oil for rubbing
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- flaked sea salt
For the Green Sauce
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tbsp finely chopped marjoram
- ½ tbsp baby capers
- ½ tbsp medium shallot, finely chopped
- finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 unwaxed lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 8 slices of sourdough bread, medium sliced
- 0.50 tsp Dijon mustard per sandwich
- Combine all the ingredients for the green sauce. Season to taste and leave to one side until needed.
- Rub the meat all over with olive oil and season with thyme, seas salt and black pepper. On a griddle or a barbecue, sear the loin for approximately 4 -6 minutes on each side, or until you think it is right. It should be well coloured on the outside and pink within. Allow to rest for 8 minutes or so. This is important as, during this time, the meat will finish its cooking and become relaxed and tender.
- Toast the bread ( preferably on a barbecue) and spread half the slices with the mustard.
- Slice the venison and lay it on top.
- Apply lots of green sauce and the remaining toasted slices and eat the sandwiches immediately.